The Problem and Prospect of Shrimp Cultivators in the Coastal Area of Bangladesh: An Analysis
Karim Gazi, A., 2020. The Problem and Prospect of Shrimp Cultivators in the Coastal Area of Bangladesh: An Analysis. United International Journal for Research & Technology (UIJRT), 1(4), pp.36-45.
Shrimp culture has vital role for rising economic success, shaping a more prosperous and sustainable future in Bangladesh, specially in the coastal area but this sector is under threat for various problems, faced by shrimp cultivators. This paper explains the problem, faced by shrimp cultivators in the coastal area of Bangladesh and the solution of those problems with the current attitude of shrimp farmers on shrimp culture. This study has been conducted in three districts, named Bagerhat, Khulna and Shatkhira district of Bangladesh. 200 respondents have been selected randomly who have been cultivating shrimp since several years. A semi-structured questionnaire has been used, four FGDs and three case study interviews have been conducted to identify problems and solutions of those problems and a scale has been used to know their current attitude on shrimp culture. Secondary data have been collected though journal, repots and newspaper. This study has focused on problems, disrupting the shrimp culture constantly and solutions in specific areas of shrimp cultivators but the whole problem of shrimp culture hasn’t been included in this study. This study has identified that shrimp cultivators are facing problems a lot which are eroding the benefit from shrimp culture, including shrimp fry remains sick, comparatively high price of shrimp fry, virus, pollution of water, comparatively low price during they sell shrimp, the price of feed is so high, lack of proper transportation, traditional process of culture and lack of monitoring bodies etc. True, to combat these troubling situations and create new possibilities, cooperation is crucial, including- soft loan, training, NGOs’ help, and Governmental initiatives. So, the Government of Bangladesh must take cognizance and act decisively to determine the barrier of shrimp cultivators and the solution of those barriers to make a suitable place of shrimp culture which will contribute to enrich the economy of Bangladesh.
- Food and Agriculture Organization, (2008), PAO Fisheries Technical Paper No-475: Global Study of Shrimp Fisheries, Retrieved from: http://www.fao.org/docrep/011/i0300e/i0300e00.HTM
- Agriculture Information Service (2018), Food Security and Rural Development in Fish Farming, Retrieved from: http://www.ais.gov.bd/site/page/e24c72ff-aed9-4497-a4d3-87ef07bc33c6/-
- Parvez, S., (2018, July 23), Shrimp exports fall for fourth straight year, The Daily Star, Retrieved from:https://www.thedailystar.net/business/shrimp-exports-fall-fourth-straight-year-1609678)
- Islam, M.S., Islam, M.S., Wahab, M.M., Miah, A.A., and Kamal, M., (2003), Impact of Shrimp Farming on the Socio-Economic and Environmental Conditions in the Coastal Regions of Bangladesh, Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences.
- Sadiq, M., (2017, January 13), There will be Fish water Shrimp in 61 Districts, Banglanews24.com
- Rahman, M. R., Ando, K., and Takeda, S., (2013), Cost Analysis of the Shrimp-Based cropping system in Coastal Bangladesh: a village level study, Trop.agr.Develop.57(3):77-85,2013
- Rahman, M. C., Salam M. A., Rahman N.M.F., Rahman M.M., and Hossen, M.M., (2013), Present Status and Potentiality of Shrimp in Bangladesh, Australian journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 7(7): 281-286,2013
- Sultana, T., Rahman, M., and Hossain, M.A., (2017), Present Status and sustainability of Prawn (Macrobrachium rosenbergii) Farming in Noakhali District, Journal of Noakhali Science and Technology University (JNSTU), 1(1):51-57(2017)
- Mazumder, M.M.H., Shamsu uzzaman, M., Nabi, R., and Rasid, A.H., (2018), Socio-Economic Characteristics and Fishing Operation Activities of the artisanal Fishers in the Sundarbans Mangrove Forest Bangladesh, Turkish journal of Fisheries and aquatic Sciences 18: 789-799(2018)
- Rahman, M.M., and Hossain, M.M., (2019), PRODUCTION AND EXPART OF SHRIMP OF BANGLADESH: PROBLEMS AND PROSPECTS, Progress, Agric, 20(1&2): 163-171, 2009
- Haider, M.Z., and Akter, R., (2018), Shrimp-Paddy Conflict in the South-West Coastal region of Bangladesh, International Journal of Aqua cultural Economics 2018:3(1):9-13
- Shawan, N.A., Prodhan, M.A., Khan, M.A., and Mitra, S., (2018), Financial Profitability of Small Scale Shrimp Farming in a Coastal Area of Bangladesh, Journal of Bangladesh Agri Univ 16(1): 104-110,2018
- Islam, M.S., Wahab, M.A., and Miah, A.A., (2002), SOCIO-ECONOMICAND ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACTS OF ALTERNATIVE SHRIMP-CROP FARMING BANGLADESH, Bangladesh J. Agric, Econs, XXV,1(2002063-76)
- Jory, E.D., US Shrimp Aquaculture in Global perspectives
- Azad, A.K., Lin, C.K., and Jensen, K.R., (2008), COASTAL AQUACULTURE DEVELOPMENT IN BANGLADESH: UN-SUSTAINABLE AND SUSTAIABLE EXPERIENCES, IIFET 2008 Vietnam Proceedings
- Asaduzzaman, M., Waha, M.M., YI, Y., Diana, J.S., and Lin, C.K., (2006), Bangladesh Prawn-Farming Survey Reports Industry Evolution, Global Aquaculture Alliance.
- Chowdhury, M.A., and Khairun,Y., (2013), Farmers Local Knowledge in extensive Shrimp Farming System in Coastal Bangladesh, APCBEE Procedia 8(2014)
- Paul, B.G., and Vogl, C.B., (2012), Key Performance Characteristics of Organic Shrimp Aquaculture in south West Bangladesh, Sustainability 2-12,4,995-1012; doi:10.3390/su.4050995
- Tobey, J., Clay, J., and Vergre, P., (1998), The Economic, Environmental, and Social Impacts of shrimp Farming in Latin America, Coastal management Report#2202-June 1998
- Ahmed, N., and Diana, J.S., (2015), Coastal to Inland: Expansion of prawn of Farming for Adaptation to Climate Change in Bangladesh, Aquaculture Reports 2(2015) 67-76
- Ahmed, N., Demaine, H., and Muir, J., (2008), Freshwater Prawn Farming in Bangladesh; history, present status and Future prospects, Aquaculture Research, (2008), 39, 806-819
- Ahmed, A., (2010), Prospects, Importance, Problems and Impacts of Shrimp Cultivation in Bangladesh: A literature Review, Inclusive Bangladesh development Foundation, The Institute of Chartered Accounts of Bangladesh (ICAB)
- Chowdhury, M.A., Khairun, Y., and Shivakoti, G.P., (2015), Indicators-based Sustainability assessment of Shrimp Farming: A Case for Extensive Culture methods in South-Western Coastal Bangladesh, Int. J. Sustainable Development, Vol.18, No.42015
- Kongkeo, H., and Phillips, M., (2001), Developments in Sustainable Shrimp Farming in Southeast Asia
- Shamsuzzaman, M.M., Islam, M.M., Tania N.J., Mamun, M.A., Barman, P., and Xu, X., (2017), Fisheries Resources of Bangladesh: Present Status and Future Direction, Aquaculture and Fisheries 2(2017), 145-156
- BANGLAPEDIA National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh, (November, 2014) Retrieved from: http://en.banglapedia.org/index.php?title=Prawn