Trade in Times of Crises-Exploring the Impact of COVID-19 on Balance of Trade in Pakistan
Lal, S., 2021. Trade in Times of Crises-Exploring the Impact of COVID-19 on Balance of Trade in Pakistan. United International Journal for Research & Technology (UIJRT), 2(3), pp.26-31.
This research explores the manner in which current COVID-19 pandemic has affected trade activities in Pakistan. It is assumed that trade activities are highly susceptible to such a great disturbance affecting worldwide. This article investigates this conjecture by scrutinising the real time data source of imports and exports. Finding suggests that initially, trade in Pakistan has been suppressed since the onset of COVID-19 crises, but it appears that activities have been restored as the stakeholders have taken COVID-19 as a new normal. Export was the key variable, which was a cause of concern for government as the country is export dependent, there was approximately 28% decline in the second quarter (Apr-Jun) of 2020 compared to the previous year same period. Policy makers can use these real time data sources to help and inform their strategic policy intervention to assist the affected ones.
- Nashirah A.B, Sofian.R, Impact of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) to Equity Market and Currency Exchange Rate, IOSR Journal of Economics and Finance (IOSR-JEF) .Volume 11, Issue 2 Ser. VI (Mar – Apr 2020), PP 22-31
- Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine (FDA) (https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedness-and-response/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine)
- Trade and covid-19 (coronavirus), https://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/trade/brief/trade-and-covid-19
- A., Rocha.N., Ruta.M. (2020) Trade and the COVID-19 crisis in developing Countries-World Bank https://voxeu.org/article/trade-and-covid-19-crisis-developing-countries
- Baldwin, R and E Tomiura (2020), “Thinking ahead about the trade impact of COVID-19”, In Baldwin and di Mauro eds. Economics in the Time of COVID-19, VoxEU.
- Catherine L. Mann “Real and financial lenses to assess the economic consequences of COVID-19”. Economics in the Time of COVID-19, VoxEU.
- Gonzalez, A (2020), “A memo to trade ministers on how trade policy can help fight COVID-19”, PIIE Trade and Investment Policy Watch, 23 March.
- S.H., (2020) Impact of Covid-19 Pandemic on Balance of Payments: Evidence from Developed and Developing Countries, EJBMR, European Journal of Business and Management Research Vol. 5, No. 5, September 2020.
- Bekmurodov A. Sh., Jumaev N. Kh. Conceptual aspects of balance of payments regulation in terms of the monetary policy liberalization//electronic journal “Uzbridge”. No I. 2019. Р.3-14.
- M., Dymond.B., (2010), The great recession and international trade https://policyoptions.irpp.org/magazines/g8g20/the-great-recession-and-international-trade/
- COVID-19 and international trade: Issues and actions (OECD), http://www.oecd.org/coronavirus/policy-responses/covid-19-and-international-trade-issues-and-actions-494da2fa/
- Z., (2020), Covid-19 and Pakistan’s Trade prospectus https://businessreview.iba.edu.pk/covid19/articles/zafar-v2.pdf
- S., (2020) “COVID-19 and Pakistan: The Economic Fallout,” ORF Occasional Paper No. 251, June 2020, Observer Research Foundation https://www.orfonline.org/research/covid19-and-pakistan-the-economic-fallout- 67296/
- Countering Covid-19 measures by State Bank of Pakistan (https://www.sbp.org.pk/COVID/index.html).