Level of Zinc and Lead in Freshwater Fishes in Balok River, Pahang, Malaysia
Rohalin, W.M., Yaakub, N. and Fazdil, N.M., 2019. Level of Zinc and Lead in Freshwater Fishes in Balok River, Pahang, Malaysia. United International Journal for Research & Technology (UIJRT), 1(1), pp.44-48.
This study was to determine the level of Zinc (Zn) and Lead (Pb) in the muscle and gills of fishes in Balok River, Pahang, Malaysia. Four different species of fishes: Megalops cyprinoides, Johnius trachycephalus, Lates calcarifer and Hexanematichthys sagor were digested using acid digestion method and analysed by Inductive Coupled Plasma Micro Spectrometer (ICP-MS). Pb levels in muscle among all fish species occurred in the rank order: H. sagor > L. calcarifer>M. cyprinoides> J. trachycephalus meanwhile Pb level in gills: Johnius trachycephalus> L. calcarifer> H. sagor > M. cyprinoides. Pb concentration in muscle of fish was the highest in H. sagor (0.037±0.037mg/kg) and in gill of J. trachycephalus with value of 0.213±0.273mg/kg respectively. Meanwhile Zn level among all fishes were in order of: H.sagor> J.trachycephalus> L.calcarifer> M.cyprinoides. The mean concentration of Zn in muscle and gill of H.sagor was the highest (2.400±1.677 and 31.572±4.562mg/kg) compared to other species respectively. However, the concentration of Pb and Zn in all fish samples were below permissible limit according to Malaysia Food Act (MFA, 1983), US Food and Drug Administration (USFDA, 1993), European Commission (EC, 2001), Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO, 2012) and were estimated safe for human consumption.
- Basha, P. S. and Rani, A. U. Cadmium induced antioxidant defense mechanism in freshwater teleost Oreochromis mossambicus (Tilapia). (2003)Ecotoxicology and Environment Safety, 56(2): 218-221.
- Batvari, B. P. D., Kamala-Kannan, S., Shanthi, K., Khrishnamoorthy, R., Lee, K. J. and Jayaprakash, M. Heavy Metal in Two Fish Species ( Carangoidel malabaricus and Belone strongulus) from Pulicat Lake, North of Chennai, Southest Coast of India. (2007). Environment Monitor Assessement, 145 (1-3), 167- 175
- Mhatre, G. N. bioindicators and biomonitoring of heavy metals. (1991) J Environ Biol 201–209.
- Sobahan, M. A., Mir, S. I., bin Zakaria, I., and Hossain, M. A. “Surface water Contamination Due To Industrial Activities in Gebeng Area, Kuantan, Malaysia. (2013) Presented at the International Conference on Civil and Architecture Engineering, Kuala Lumpur”.
- Official Methods of Analysis of AOAC INTERNATIONAL. 20th edition. (2016). Washington D.C: Association of Official Analytical Chemists.
- Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater. (2005). 21st Edition. American Public Health Association/ American Water Works Association/ Water Environment Federation, Washington D.C.
- Malaysian Food Act (MFA).. Malaysian food and drug. Kuala Lumpur: MDC Publishers Printer Sdn.Bhd. (1983)
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). (2012). From Heavy Metal Regulations Faolex: http://faolex.org/docs/pdf/eri42405.pdf..
- US Food and Drug Administration (USFDA). (1993). Guidance document for lead in shellfish Washington, DC:DHHS/PHS/FDA/CFSAN/Office of seafood
- European Comission (EC). (2001). Np 466/2001 of March 2011. Official Journal of European Communities 1, 77/1
- J., Rao. Y., Devindra. and Longvah. T Analysis of Heavy metal concentration in Indian Marine fish ICP-MS after closed vessel micro wave digestion method. International Journal of Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry (2014).
- Widad, F., and Abdullah, M. Preliminary Study Of Heavy Metals Pollution In Freshwater Fishes Of Sungai Simpang Empat, Penang. Journal of Academia Vol, 3, 48-65. (2013).
- Ahmed, Q., Bat, L., and Ali, Q. M. Determination Of Fe, Zn, Mn, Cu, Cd And Pb Concentrations In Scatophagus Argus (Linnaeus, 1766) From The Korangi Fish Harbour, Karachi, Pakistan. Pakistan (2014).Journal of Marine Sciences, 23(1&2), 25-32
- Kamaruzzaman, B.Y., Ong, M.C., Rina, S.Z., and Joseph, B. Levels of Some Heavy Metals in Fishes From Pahang River Estuary, Pahang, Malaysia. Journal of Biological Sciences, 10: 157-161. (2010).
- Adawiyah, R. The Accumulation Characteristics of Heavy Metal In Commonly Found Fish Of Perak River And Their Associated Health Risk. Degree Thesis. University of Malaysia, Kelantan (2016).
- Prosi, F. Factors controlling biological availability and toxic effects of lead in aquatic organisms. (1989). Science of the Total Environment, 79(2), 157-169
- Hanaa, M., Eweida, A. and Farag, A. Heavy metals in drinking water and their environmental impact on human health. International Conference on Environmental Hazards Mitigation, Cairo University, Egypt, (2000). pp. 542-556
- Fidan, A. F., Ciğerci, İ. H., Konuk, M., Küçükkurt, İ., Aslan, R., and Dündar, Y. Determination of some heavy metal levels and oxidative status in Carassius carassius L., 1758 from Eber Lake. Environmental monitoring and assessment, (2008). 147(1-3), 35-41.
- A. M. Abdallah, “Trace element levels in some commercially valuable fish species from coastal waters of Mediterranean Sea, Egypt,” Journal of Marine Systems, vol. 73, no. 1-2, pp. 114–122,2008.
- O. Nweeze, L. B. Mahmood, and U. I. Aisha, “Lithological Studies and Aigal diversity, the useful fool for assessment of fish pond water quality,” Asian Academic Research Journal of Mullidisplinatin Auline, 2014.
- Oronsaye, J., and Obasohan, E. Bioaccumulation of heavy metals by some cichlids from Ogba River, Benin City, Nigeria (2004). Vol 5 (2) 11-27.
- Tukimat, L., R Abu Bakar, C.C. Zaidi & A.R Sahibin. Determination of heavy metals in seafood and intakes by the populations of Kuala Kemaman, Terengganu. (2002). Paper presented at Regional symposium on Environment and Natural Resources, 10-11 April, Hotel Renaissance, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Vasconcelos Rita P., Patrick Reis-Santos, Anabela Maia, Miguel Ruano, Maria J.Costa and Henrique Cabral Trace metals (Cu, Zn, Cd and Pb) in juvenile fish from estuarine nurseries along the Portuguese coast. Scientia Marina (2011). 75(1): 155-162.
- Chen, C. Y., and Folt, C. L. Bioaccumulation and diminution of arsenic and lead in a freshwater food web. Environmental science & technology, 34(18), 3878-3884. Chen, C. Y., & Folt, C. (2000). Bioaccumulation and diminution of arsenic and lead in a freshwater food web. Environmental science & technology, 34(18), 3878-3884
- Shah, S. L., and Altindag, A. Effects of Heavy Metal Accumulation on the 96-h LC_50 Values in Tench Tinca tinca L., 1758. (2005)Turkish Journal of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, 29(1), 139-144.
- Laura, M. P., Lothar, R. and Hajo, H. The Essential Toxin: Impact of Zinc on Human Health. (2010). International Journal Environment Registry Public Health 7, 1342-1365; doi:10.3390/ijerph7041342.
- Kori-Siakpere, O. and Ubogu, E. O. Bioaccumulation and toxic effects of some heavy metals in freshwater fishes. (2008). Animal Research International, 3: 1792- 1798.
- Bashir, F. A., and Alhemmali, E. M.. Analysis of some heavy metal in marine fish in muscle, liver and gill tissue in two marine fish spices from Kapar coastal waters, Malaysia. (2015, September)In The Second Symposium on Theories and Applications of Basic and Biosciences (Vol. 5).