Inflation and Capital Market Performance in Nigeria: Canonical Cointegrating Regression Analysis
Babarinde, G.F. and Abdulmajeed, T.I., 2020. Inflation and Capital Market Performance in Nigeria: Canonical Cointegrating Regression Analysis. United International Journal for Research & Technology (UIJRT), 2(1), pp.35-42.
The macroeconomic view of the capital market postulates that the market is affected by several macro-economic variables among which is inflation. Though, theoretically, capital market reacts to changes in inflation rate but the degree and direction have been a subject of debate of interest to academics, researchers, and policy makers. Therefore, this paper investigates the effect of inflation on capital market in Nigeria, using annual time series data obtained from the Central Bank of Nigeria and World Development Indicators for the years 1981-2018. The Canonical Cointegrating Regression(CCR) technique was applied to the data after descriptive analysis, augmented Dickey-Fuller (ADF) unit root and Johansen cointegration tests were conducted. Cointegration analysis indicates that a long run equilibrium relationship exists between inflation and capital market in Nigeria. The CCR estimates show evidence of a negative significant effect of inflation on capital market in Nigeria. Hence, Nigerian government should consciously embrace inflation-targeting monetary policy regime to stem the tide of rising inflation in Nigeria in order to reduce its negative effect on the Nigerian capital market.
- Ahmadi, F. (2016). The effect of inflation on stock prices of listed companies in Tehran stock exchange. World Scientific News, 40, 235-247.
- Akani, H. W., & Uzobor, C. C. (2015). Empirical analysis of effects of inflation on aggregate stock prices in Nigeria: 1980-2012. European Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance Research, 3(9), 31-51.
- Al-Abbadi, H. A. D., & Abdul-Khaliq, S. (2017). The relationship between inflation and capital market performance in Jordan. European Journal of Business and Management, 9(29), 142-150.
- Aliyu, S. U. R. (2011). Does inflation has an impact on stock returns and volatility? Evidence from Nigeria and Ghana. International conference on economics and finance research Singapore, 4, 399-405.
- Aliyu, U. A., Ismail, R. A., & Shehu, N. (2019). Inflation and economic growth in Nigeria using ARDL approach. Dutse International Journal of Social and Economic Research, 3(1), 12-25.
- Antonakakis, N., Gupta, R., & Tiwari, A. K. (2016). Time-varying correlations between inflation and stock prices in the United States over the last two centuries. University of Pretoria department of economics working paper series, 1-19.
- Asab, N. A., & Al-Tarawneh, A. (2020). Inflation thresholds and stock market development: Evidence of the nonlinear nexus from an emerging economy. International Journal of Financial Research,11(1), 447-461. https://doi.org/10.5430/ijfr.v11n1p447
- Babarinde, G. F. Is exchange rate volatility related to the performance of the Nigerian capital market? Mautech International Journal of Management and Entrepreneurship, 1(1), 110-130.
- Central Bank of Nigeria. 2018. Statistical bulletin. Abuja: Author.
- Cohn, R. A., & Lessard, D. R. (1980). The effect of inflation on stock prices: International evidence. Paper presented at the September 1980 meetings of the American economic and American finance associations in Denver, Colorado.
- Daferighe, E., & Charlie, S. S. (2012). The impact of inflation on stock market performance in Nigeria. American Journal of Social and Management Sciences, 3(2), 76-82. doi:10.5251/ajsms.2012.3.2.76.82
- Dengke, L. (2015). Evaluating the impact of inflation on capital market in China. M.Sc. (Finance) thesis, Universiti Utara Malaysia.
- Fama, E. F. ( Stock returns real activity, inflation and money. American Economic Review, 71, 545-565.
- Fisher, I. (1930). The theory of interest. New York: Macmillan.
- Floros, C. (2004). Stock returns and inflation in Greece. Applied Econometrics and International Development, 4(2), 55-68.
- Geetha, C., Mohidin, R., Chandran, V. V., & Chong, V. (2011). The relationship between inflation and capital market: Evidence from Malaysia, United States and China. International Journal of Economics and Management Sciences, 1(2), 1-16.
- Gidigbi, M. O., Babarinde G. F., & Lawan M. W. (2018). Inflation and exchange rate volatility pass-through in Nigeria. Journal of Management, Economics, and Industrial Organization, 2(3), 18-40. http://doi.org/10.31039/jomeino.2018.2.3.2
- Ibrahim, T. M., & Agbaje, O. M. 2013. The relationship between stock return and inflation in Nigeria. European Scientific Journal, 9(4), 146-157.
- Iwegbu, O. & Adeoye, B. W. (2020). Effect of inflationary expectations on stock market returns in Nigeria. Journal of Economic Studies, 17(1), 27- 42. https://nauecojournals.com/index.php/stage/pdfreader/113
- Jelilov, G., Iorember, P. T., Usman, O., & Yua, P. M. (2020). Testing the nexus between stock market returns and inflation in Nigeria: Does the effect of COVID-19 pandemic matter? Journal of Public Affairs, 2020; e2289., 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/pa.2289
- Jepkemei, B. (2017). The impact of inflation on capital market liquidity: A case of Nairobi securities exchange, Kenya. International Journal of Economics, Commerce and Management, 5(1), 319-350.
- Kaur, M. 2017. An impact of inflation and exchange rate on stock returns: Evidence from India. Scholarly Research Journal for Interdisciplinary Studies, 4(37), 8232-8239. https://doi.org/10.21922/srjis.v4i37.10524
- Khumalo, J. (2013). Inflation and stock prices interactions in South Africa: VAR analysis. International Journal of Economics and Finance Studies, 5(2), 23-34.
- Kwofie, C., & Ansah, R. K. (2018). A study of the effect of inflation and exchange rate on capital market returns in Ghana. International Journal of Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences, 2018, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/7016792
- Lawal, E. O. (2016). Inflation and stock market returns in Nigeria: An empirical analysis. Quest Journal of Research in Humaniities and Social Sciences, 4(11), 50-56.
- Marku, O. E., & Atanda, A. A. (2010). Determinants of capital market performance in Nigeria: Long run analysis. Journal of Management and Organisational Behaviour. 1(3), 1-15.
- Mbulawa, S. (2015). The impact of inflation on capital market performance in Zimbabwe between 1980 and 2008: An empirical investigation. European Journal of Business, Economics and Accountancy, 3(4), 62-70.
- Moores-Pitt, P., & Strydom, B. (2017). Equities as a hedge against inflation in South Africa. SAEF working paper no. 2017/02/01.
- Njogo, B. O., Inim, V. E., Ohiaeri, N. V., & Ogboi, C. (2018). The relationship between stock returns and inflation rates in Nigeria from 1995 to 2014. International Journal of Economics, Commerce and Management, 6(2), 509-523.
- Nwude, E. C. (2013). The impact of inflation on stock market investment performance: Evidence from Airlines automobile road transport and maritime sectors stocks of the Nigeria stock exchange. Asian Journal of Empirical Research, 3(10), 1257-1276.
- Omotor, D. G. (2010). Relationship between inflation and capital market returns: Evidence from Nigeria. CBN Journal of Applied Statistics, 1(1), 1-15.
- Orajaka, U. P., Okeke, C. P. (2017). Inflationary trend and its impact on Nigeria stock exchange market. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, 7(11), 127-140. http://dx.doi.org/10.6007/IJARBSS/v7-i11/3445
- Park J. Y. (1992). Canonical cointegrating regressions. Econometrica, 60(1), 119–143.
- Qamri, G. M., Ul-Haq, M. A., & Akram, F. (2015). The impact of inflation on stock prices: Evidence from Pakistan. Microeconomics and Macroeconomics, 3(4), 83-88. DOI: 10.5923/j.m2economics.20150304.01
- Sokpo, J., Iorember, P., & Usar, T. (2017). Inflation and capital market returns volatility: Evidence from the Nigerian stock exchange 1995Q1-2016Q4: An E-GARCH approach. International Journal of Econometrics and Financial Management, 5(2), 69-76. DOI:10.12691/ijefm-5-2-6
- Usman, O. A., & Adejare, A. T. (2013). Inflation and capital market performances: The Nigerian outlook. Journal of Emerging Trends in Economics and Management Sciences, 5(1), 93-99.
- Uwubanmwen, A., & Eghosa. I. L. (2015). Inflation rate and stock returns: Evidence from the Nigerian capital market. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 6(11), 155-167.