Economic Analysis of Rice Production in Bangladesh
Khalique, M.F.B., Touhiduzzaman, S.M., Islam, M.S., Murmu, H. and Rasel, M., 2019. Economic Analysis of Rice Production in Bangladesh. United International Journal for Research & Technology (UIJRT), 1(2), pp.01-07.
The aim of the study is to examine the growth performance and profitability of rice production in Bangladesh using the time series data for the period 1981-82 to 2010-11. The study was based on secondary data. Growth rates of area, production, yield and nominal price of three seasons of rice were estimated by fitting exponential trend function. Growth rates of area which were significantly negative for Aus, Aman that were -4.6 percent and -0.3 percent and positive for Boro rice it was 4.5 percent over the whole period. The growth rates of yield for Aus, Aman and Boro were increased significantly at the rate of 2.2, 1.9 and 1.9 percent respectively during the entire time period. The growth rate of production was significantly negative for Aus rice was 2.4 percent and positive for Aman and Boro rice that were 1.6 and 6.3 percent respectively. There was an upward trend observed in nominal price for Aus, Aman and Boro over the period. The short-run and long-run price elasticity of Aus was 0.010 and 0.210 and short-run and long-run elasticity of Aman and Boro rice were 0.091, 0.112 and 0.051 and 0.395 respectively. The short-run responses in rice production are lower than long-run response as indicated by the higher long-run elasticities. The lagged area variable was highly significant in Aus and Boro rice area response equation. Rainfall in sowing period had significant influences in Aus area response equation. Aman has positive influence with the lagged yield and negative with the irrigated area. Policy related to technological advancement, improving varieties, extension services, fertilizer distribution, high yielding variety seeds and production management research may increase the productivity of food grains in Bangladesh.
- N. I. Sarker, M. Wu, B. Chanthamith, S. Yusufzada, D. Li, and J. Zhang, “Big Data Driven Smart Agriculture : Pathway for Sustainable Development,” in ICAIBD 2019, 2019, pp. 1–6.
- N. I. Sarker, M. A. Hossin, W. Min, and M. Aktaruzzaman, “Poverty Alleviation of Rural People through Good Governance in Bangladesh,” J. Soc. Sci. Res., vol. 4, no. 12, pp. 547–555, Nov. 2018.
- BBS, “Statistical Yearbook of Bangladesh,” Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2012.
- K. Haider, M. S. Islam, S. S. Islam, and M. N. I. Sarker, “Determination of crop coefficient for transplanted Aman rice,” Int. J. Nat. Soc. Sci., vol. 2, no. 23, pp. 34–40, 2015.
- S. Prodhan, M. N. I. Sarker, A. Sultana, and M. S. Islam, “Knowledge,adoption and attitude on banana cultivation technology of the banana growers of Bangladesh,” Int. J. Hortic. Sci. Ornam. Plants, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 47–52, Feb. 2017.
- N. I. Sarker, “Knowledge, Adoption and Constraint analysis of Chilli Technology in Char Area of Bangladesh,” Int. J. Ecol. Dev. Res., vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 16–18, 2016.
- A. Ali, M. S. Islam, M. N. I. Sarker, and M. A. Bari, “Study on Biology of Red Pumpkin Beetle in Sweet Gourd Plants,” Int. J. Appl. Res. J., vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 1–4, 2015.
- N. I. Sarker, “Role of Banks on Agricultural Development in Bangladesh,” Int. J. Ecol. Dev. Res., vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 10–15, 2016.
- N. I. Sarker, S. C. Barman, M. Islam, and R. Islam, “Role of lemon (Citrus limon) production on livelihoods of rural people in Bangladesh,” J. Agric. Econ. Rural Dev., vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 167–175, 2017.
- A. S. Murshid and M. Yunus, “Rice prices and growth, and poverty reduction in Bangladesh,” Agargaon, Dhaka-1207, Bangladesh, 2016.
- N. I. Sarker, M. A. Kashem, and M. Z. Rahman, “Poverty alleviation of rural people through Chars Livelihoods Program,” J. Bangladesh Socioety Agric. Sci. Technol., vol. 4, no. 3&4, pp. 203–208, 2007.
- S. Islam, M. A. Ali, and M. N. I. Sarker, “Efficacy of medicinal plants against seed borne fungi of wheat seeds,” Int. J. Nat. Soc. Sci., vol. 2, no. 21, pp. 48–52, 2015.
- N. I. Sarker, M. A. Ali, and M. S. Islam, “Causes and possible solutions of poverty perceived by char dwellers in Bangladesh,” Int. J. Nat. Soc. Sci., vol. 2, no. 21, pp. 37–41, 2015.
- N. I. Sarker and Z. Jie, “Social Security for Vulnerable Groups in Bangladesh on Government Perspective: Contribution of Research Leader,” J. Public Policy Adm., vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2017.
- K. Barmon and M. Chaudhury, “Impact of Price and Price Variability on Acreage Allocation in Rice and Wheat Production in Bangladesh,” Agric., vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 23–30, 2012.
- N. I. Sarker, “An Introduction to Agricultural Anthropology : Pathway to Sustainable Agriculture,” J. Sociol. Anthropol., vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 47–52, 2017.
- S. Islam, M. S. Khanam, and M. N. I. Sarker, “Health risk assessment of metals transfer from soil to the edible part of some vegetables grown in Patuakhali province of Bangladesh,” Arch. Agric. Environ. Sci., vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 187–197, 2018.
- N. I. Sarker, M. Wu, R. C. Shouse, and C. Ma, “Administrative Resilience and Adaptive Capacity of Administrative System: A Critical Conceptual Review,” in Lecture Notes on Multidisciplinary Industrial Engineering, J. et al. Xu, Ed. Springer Nature Switzerland, 2019, pp. 1–13.
- S. Islam, M. N. I. Sarker, and M. A. Ali, “Effect of seed borne fungi on germinating wheat seed and their treatment with chemicals,” Int. J. Nat. Soc. Sci., vol. 2, no. 21, pp. 28–32, 2015.
- N. I. Sarker, M. A. Ali, M. S. Islam, and M. A. Bari, “Feeding Behavior and Food Preference of Red Pumpkin Beetle, Aulacophora Foveicollis,” Am. J. Plant Biol., vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 13–17, 2016.
- Z. Rahman, M. N. I. Sarker, N. Huda, S. Islam Khan, N. A. B. M., and M. R. Zaman, “Assessment of Socio-Economic and Sexual Vulnerability of Tea Workers in Bangladesh,” J. Soc. Sci. Res., vol. 4, no. 11, pp. 229–240, Nov. 2018.
- N. I. Sarker, “Administrative Resilience: Potential Approach for Disaster Management,” in Global Encyclopedia ofPublic Administration, Public Policy, and Governance, A. Farazmand, Ed. Springer Nature Switzerland AG, 2019, pp. 1–5.
- N. I. Sarker, Poverty of Island Char Dwellers in Bangladesh. Hamburg, Diplomica Publishing GmbH,Germany, 2016.
- A. Akher, M. N. I. Sarker, and S. Naznin, “Salt stress mitigation by salicylic acid in wheat for food security in coastal area of Bangladesh,” J. Plant Stress Physiol., vol. 4, pp. 07–16, Jan. 2018.
- N. I. Sarker and M. Wu, “Bureaucracy in Bangladesh: A Disaster Management Perspective,” in Global Encyclopedia of Public Administration, Public Policy, and Governance, A. Farazmand, Ed. Springer Nature Switzerland AG, 2019, pp. 1–5.
- Sultana, M. N. I. Sarker, and A. S. Prodhan, “Job Satisfaction of Public and Private Primary School Teachers of Bogra District in Bangladesh,” J. Sociol. Anthropol., vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 41–46, Mar. 2017.
- N. I. Sarker et al., “Determinants and Pattern of Urbanization and Counter-Urbanization: The Case of South Asia,” J. Soc. Sci. Res., vol. 4, no. 12, pp. 802–812, Dec. 2018.
- N. I. Sarker, M. Wu, G. M. Alam, and R. C. Shouse, “Livelihood Vulnerability of Riverine-Island Dwellers in the Face of Natural Disasters in Bangladesh,” Sustainability, vol. 11, no. 6, p. 1623, Mar. 2019.
- Cao, M. N. I. Sarker, and J. Sun, “Model of the influencing factors of the withdrawal from rural homesteads in China: Application of grounded theory method,” Land use policy, vol. 85, pp. 285–289, Jun. 2019.
- T. Chowdhury, “Marginal product of irrigation expenses in Bangladesh,” Water Resour. Econ., vol. 4, pp. 38–51, 2013.
- M. Karim, M. S. Raha, S. K. Barua, and S. Farid, “Price instability and the spatial price relationship of rice in some selected rice markets of Bangladesh,” Int. J. Dev. Sustain., vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 267–277, 2016.
- BBS, “Yearbook of Agricultural Statistics,” Agric. Stat., vol. 3.9, no. July, pp. 301–302, 2018.
- N. I. Sarker, M. Wu, Q. Cao, G. M. M. Alam, and D. Li, “Leveraging Digital Technology for Better Learning and Education : A Systematic Literature Review,” Int. J. Inf. Educ. Technol., vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 453–461, 2019.
- M. Shew, A. Durand-Morat, B. Putman, L. L. Nalley, and A. Ghosh, “Rice intensification in Bangladesh improves economic and environmental welfare,” Environ. Sci. Policy, vol. 95, no. February, pp. 46–57, 2019.
- Xie and B. Wang, “An Empirical Analysis of the Impact of Agricultural Product Price Fluctuations on China’s Grain Yield,” Sustainability, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 1–14, 2017.
- L. Yap, “Price instability in the international rice market: Its impact on production and farm prices,” Dev. Policy Rev., vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 251–276, 1997.