Effect of Class-Wide Peer Assisted Learning Strategy on Students’ Academic Performance Using Automotive Diagnostic Tools by NCE III Students
Total Views / Downloads: 4
Adamu, A.S., L’kama, J.D. and Kumazhege, S.Z., 2021. Effect of Class-Wide Peer Assisted Learning Strategy on Students’ Academic Performance Using Automotive Diagnostic Tools by NCE III Students. United International Journal for Research & Technology (UIJRT), 2(4), pp.01-10.
This study determines the effect of class-wide peer-assisted learning strategy (CWPALS) on students’ academic performance on the use of automotive diagnostic tools in colleges of education in North-east, Nigeria. The rational of the study was that CWPALS supports collaborative learning that encourages partnership among peers with students as teachers and teachers as facilitators of learning. The study employed true experimental Pretest posttest equivalent research design. A sample size of twenty-four (24) NCE III students participated in this study. 12 students each were assigned as experimental and control group. The experimental group was designed to promote class-wide peer assisted learning, where deliberate opportunities are provided for students to act as teachers and teachers as facilitators. An automotive diagnostic tools assessment instrument adapted from NPOWER/NADDC was used for data collection. The assessment comprises of 30-items that measure the extent of students’ performance in using automotive diagnostic tools The instrument has a reliability of 0.81 calculated using Cronbach alpha. T-test was used for the analysis of the data using SPSS software. The findings of the study reveals that here was a significant difference in the student’s academic performance in favour of the experimental group. Based on this finding, the study recommends that training should be conducted for lecturers of automobile technology in FCE (T) in north-east, Nigeria should imbibe the use of CWPALS in teaching the use of automotive diagnostic tools.
- Adesope, A. O., Oke, A. A. & Odekunle A. A. (2018). Restructuring Nigeria Higher Education (Colleges of education) for Sustainable Development. Journal of Advanced Academic Research, 4(11), 65-74.
- Ashlame, P. A. & Iwanger, R. S. (2018). Effect of Peer Tutoring Instructional Strategy on Achievement of Basic Science and Technology Students with Learning Disabilities in Nasarawa State, Nigeria. East African Scholars Journal of Education, Humanities and Literature, 1(2): 47-54.
- Austin, J. (2008). The Effects of Peer Tutoring on Fifth-Grade Students’ Motivation and Learning in Math Problem-Solving. Master of Science in Education thesis, The State University of New York College at Brockport.
- Bisalla, A. M. & Adeyemi, A. A. (2016). Reforming Technical and Vocational Education for Industrial Revolution. International Journal for Innovative Social and Science Education Research. 4(1), 8-13.
- Costantini, S. T. (2015). The Impact of Peer Tutoring Strategies on Student Learning in Social Studies. A Master’s Thesis Submitted to Department of Curriculum Instruction, State University of New York.
- Creswell, J. W. (2014). Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches. Thousand Oaks: SAGE Publications, Inc.
- Cyril, M. U. (2014). Effects of Computer-Assisted Instruction and Demonstration Method of Teaching Automobile Technology in Federal Colleges of Education (Technical) in North-Eastern Nigeria. International Journal of Science and Research, 5(3), 1325-1329.
- Ekpiken, W. E. & Ukpabio, G. U. (2014). Repositioning Teacher Education in Nigeria for National Sustainable Development. Journal of Emerging Trend in Educational Research and Policy Studies, 5(5), 585-591
- Falchikov, N. (2001). Learning Together Peer Tutoring in Higher Education. London: Routledge Falmer.
- Federal Government of Nigeria, (2013). National Policy on Education (NPE). Abuja: NERDC Press.
- Federal Government of Nigeria, (2019). Federal Ministry of Education Website. Retrieved on 22/12/19 from http://education.gov.ng/technology-science-education/
- Freund, S. H. (2013). The Relationship of Academic Courses and Skills Requirements of Automotive Repair Technicians. PhD Dissertation, Department of Industrial Education, Faculty of Education, Lindenwood University.
- Gbollie, H. & Keamu, P. H. (2017). Student Academic Performance: The Role of Motivation, Strategies, and Perceived Factors Hindering Liberian Junior and Senior High School Students Learning. Journal of Educational Research International, 17(1): 1-11
- Gill, P. S. (2016). A Textbook of Automobile Engineering I. New Delhi: S. K. Kataria & Sons.
- Havens, P. S. & Williams, M. S. (2019). University Peer-Assisted Learning Strategies in the Humanities. Journal of College Reading and Learning, 49 (3); 160-169
- Helderman, J. (2012). Automotive Technology; Principle, Diagnosis and Service. New Jersey: Pearson Education Inc.
- Ho, C. L. T. (2018). Peer Tutoring Scheme: A Medical Students Perspectives. Advances in Medical Education and Practice, 18(4); 605-616.
- Hussaini, A. (2018). Effect of Scenario-Based Learning on students’ performance and interest in Electronics Devices in Science and Technical Colleges in Bauchi and Gombe States [Unpublished Master’s Thesis]. Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi, Nigeria.
- Kagan, J. (2019). Video Conferencing. Retrieved on 5/2/2020 from http://www.investopedia.com/term
- Kapil, Y. & Malini, J. S. (2018). Peer Tutoring an Instructional Strategy: Systematic Approach. Scholarly Research Journal for Humanity Science & English Language. 6(27); 7792-7798.
- Kehinde, T. M. & Adewuyi, L. A. (2015). Vocational and Technical Education: A Viable Tool for Transformation of the Nigerian Economy. European Centre for Research Training and Development Online journal 1(2), 22-31, July 2015, www.eajournals.org
- Manzoor, I. (2014). Peer Assisted Versus Expert Assisted Learning: A Comparison of Effectiveness in Terms of Academic Scores. Journal of the College of Physicians and Surgeons, 24 (11): 825-829
- Mathes, P.G., Torgesen, J.K., Clancy-Menchetti, J., Santi, K., Nicolas, K., Robinson, C., & Grek, M. (2003). A comparison of teacher-directed versus peer-assisted instruction to struggling first-grade readers. The Elementary School Journal, 103(5), 459-479. Retrieved January 14, 2008, from Academic Search Premier database.
- Neuendorf, K. A. (2011). Content analysis—A methodological primer for gender research. Sex Roles, 64(3-4), 276-289.
- Nwosu, J. & Micah, E. M. (2017). Technical Vocational Education and Training as a Tool for National Sustainable Development in Nigeria. The International Journal for Social Sciences and Humanity Invention, 4(9), 3983-3988.
- Okoye, K. R. E. & Isaac, M. O. (2015). Enhancing Technical Vocational Education and Training in Nigeria for Sustainable Development: Competency-Based Training Approach. Journal of Education and Practice, 6(2), 66-69.
- Okoye, R. & Arimonu, M. O. (2016). Technical and Vocational Education in Nigeria: Issues, Challenges and Way Forward. Journal of Education and Practice, 7(3), 113-118.
- Pinho, L. A., Mota, F. B., Conde, M. V. F., Alves, L. A., & Lopes, R. M. (2015). Mapping Knowledge Produced on Problem-Based Learning between 1945 and 2014: A Bibliometric Analysis. [Electronic version]. Creative Education, 6 576-584.
- Robinson, D.R., Schofield, J.W., Steers-Wentzell, K.L. (2005). Peer and cross-age tutoring in math: Outcomes and their design implications. Educational Psychology Review, 17 (4), 327-362. Retrieved January 10, 2007, from Academic Search Premier database.
- Sabitu, A. & Terver, T. (2016), Impact of Class-Wide Peer-Tutoring Strategy on Secondary School Slow Learners’ Performance in Redox Reactions in Funtua, Katsina State, Nigeria. Issues and Ideas in Education 4(2) 83–97.
- Scott, N. A. (2007) Attitude Change through Reward of Verbal Behavior. New York, Basic Books Ltd.
- Shahazadi, E & Ahmad, Z. (2011). A Study on Academic Performance of University Students. Paper presented at the 8th International Conference on Recent Advances in Statistics: Lahore, Pakistan.
- Shehu, I. Y., Birma, M. S., Rufai, A., Eric, E. B., Jibrin, A. L., & Zubairu, A. (2016). Diagnosing and Troubleshooting On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) II Automotive Vehicles in Nigeria. Paper presented at the 2nd National Engineering Conference, Kano, Nigeria. Held between 6th – 8th December at Bayero University.
- Sobral, D. T. (2002). Cross Year Peer Tutoring Experience in a Medical School: Conditions and Outcomes for Student Tutor. Medical Education, 36(11); 1064-1070.
- Starr, A. S. (2009). Peer Tutoring as an Effective Instructional Strategy to Promote a Collaborative Envrionment with Learning as a Social Process to Enhance Reading Achievement: Students as.
- Starr, S. A. (2009). Peer Tutoring as an Effective Instructional Strategy to Promote a Collaborative Environment with Learning as a Social Process to Enhance Reading Achievement: Students as teachers, Teachers as Facilitators. Submitted to Northern Michigan University.
- Tumba, I., & Chinda, P. D. (2014). Comparative Effect of Teaching Methods Used for Teaching Skills in Radio, Television and Electronic Servicing. American International Journal of social sciences.
- Udogu, K. C. (2015). Emerging Technology Skills Required by Technical College Graduates of Motor Vehicle Mechanic’s Work in Establishing Automobile Enterprises in Anambra and Enugu States of Nigeria [Unpublished master’s Thesis], University of Nigeria Nsukka, Enugu, Nigeria.
- Ullah, I., Tabassum, R. & Kaleem, M. (2018). Effects of Peer Tutoring on the Academic Achievement of Students in the Subject of Biology at Secondary Level. Education Science Journal, 2(1); 1-11.
- UNESCO-UNEVOC, (2019). Technical Vocational Education and Training Country Profile Nigeria. Report on Technical Vocational Education and Training in Nigeria. Bonn: Creative Commons Attribution.
- Vijay, P. G. (2017). Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) system in india for sustainable Development. Centre for Innovations. Retrieved on 12/12/2019 from www.educationinnovations.org
- Walkup-Amos, T. (2020). Creating Inclusive Music Classrooms Through Peer-Assisted Learning Strategies. Teaching Exceptional Children. Sage Journal, 52(3), 138–146.
- Wood, C. L., Mustian, A. L., & Cooke, N. L. (2012). Comparing whole-word and morphograph instruction during computer-assisted peer tutoring on students’ acquisition and generalization of vocabulary. Remedial And Special Education, 33(1), 39-47.
- Yiep, K. (2016). Peer Tutoring in Physical Education: A Review of Evidence Based Practices. Unpublished Master’s Thesis. Department of Physical Education. Faculty of Education; Humboldt State University.