The Use of Collections and Services of Academic Libraries in Ghana: A Case Study of Ghana Communication Technology University, Accra, Ghana
Frempong-Kore, A and Bitherman, B.K.A., 2021. The Use of Collections and Services of Academic Libraries in Ghana: A Case Study of Ghana Communication Technology University, Accra, Ghana. United International Journal for Research & Technology (UIJRT), 2(6), pp.01-09.
An academic library is established in an institution of higher learning to provide services that will meet the information needs of students, lecturers, researchers and the entire academic community. The use of the library and its resources by the students of the institution is therefore a must for both faculty and students if academic work would go on successfully. This study examines the extent of use of library resources in Ghana Communication Technology University, Accra, Ghana. Two separate questionnaires were used to gather data. 400 registered library users were selected using the stratified random sampling technique. The findings revealed that 46.87% of the students sampled visited the library to read for examination while most faculty members visited the library to consult journals, electronic or print resources and to read newspapers. Also, students used the online catalogue to locate materials more than faculty. It was recommended that faculty give reading assignments that will require students to consult journals and other resources in the library, not just for examination purposes. The library should also embark on aggressive awareness creation on regular basis to showcase the various resources available in the library.
- Agboola, I. O. & Bamigboye, O. B. “Students’ Level of Study and User of Library Resources in Nigerian Universities: A Comparative Study” Library Philosophy and Practice (ejournal). 528. (2011). https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/libphilprac/528
- Abosede, A. T & Ibikunle, O. O. “Determinants of library use among students of agriculture: A case study of Lagos State Polytechnic.” (2011). http://unllib.unl.edu/LPP/abosede-ibikunle.htm
- Aforo, A. “Evaluation of Library Resources: A study of Sir Arku Korsah law library, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana.” (2012). Journal of science and technology, vol. 32, no. 3 (2012), pp 61-68 61
- Aina, L. O. “Library and Information Science Text for Africa.” Ibadan: Third World Information Services. (2004).
- Akhtar, H. & Krishna, K. “Use, collection and services of IIRS Library: a survey”. In Bandyopadhya SS et al. Eds. Proceedings of National Conference on Information Management in Digital Libraries (NCIMDiL-Central Library I.I.T., Kharagpur, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi. (2006). Annual Report 2007-08. IIT, Delhi. pp. 643-646.
- Akin, A. O. & Ajayi, P. O. “Students’ utilization of academic libraries in Nigeria: A case study of Federal University of Technology, Akure between year 2001-2005.” (2008). Asian Journal of Information Technology 7(5):172-174
- Amkpa, S. A. “Students’ use of University of Maiduguri Library: An evaluative study.” (2000). Gateway Library Journal, 2(3), 70-80.
- Don, D. “How students and faculty use academic libraries differently.” (2006). http://www.Irs.org/documents/fastfacts/242_ALIS_2_KL.pdf
- Eiriemiokhale, K. A. & Ibeun, M. O. “Awareness, Availability and Accessibility of Library Resources by Students of Kwara State University, Malete, Nigeria.” (2017). Library Philosophy and Practice (e-journal). 1629. https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/libphilprac/1629
- Frascotti, J., Levenseler, J., Weingarten, C., & Wiegand, K. “Improving library use and information literacy at Caritas Charles Vath College.” An interdisciplinary qualifying project report submitted to the Faculty of Worcester Polytechnic Institute. B.Sc. Thesis. KAL, 0704; IQP division: 51. (2007). http://www.wpi.edu/Pubs/E-project/Available/E-project-030107-103835/
- Frempong-Kore, A. “The Trends and Effects of Donations on the Collection Development of Private Academic Libraries in Ghana.” A thesis submitted to the department of information studies. University of Ghana. (2018).
- Haglund, L. & Olsson, P. The impact on university libraries of changes in information behaviour among academic researchers: A multiple case study. (2008). The Journal of Academic Librarianship 34 (1):52-59
- Jubb, M., & Green, R. “Researchers’ use of academic libraries and their services.” (2007). http://www.rin.ac.uk/system/files/…/Researchers-librariesservices-report.pdf
- Julien, H. “Information literacy instruction in Canadian academic libraries: Longitudinal trends and international comparison.” (2000). College and Research Libraries, 61(6), 510-523.
- Krishna K. Akhtar H., Nishat F. & Sunil, T. “The use of collections and services at IIT Delhi library: A survey.” (2010). International Journal of Library and Information Science Vol. 2(6), pp. 114-123. http://www.academicjournals.org/ijlis
- Lance, K.C., Rodney, M.J. & Hamilton-Pennell, C. “Measuring up to Standards: the impact of school library programs & information literacy in Pennsylvania schools.” Pennsylvania: Pennsylvania Department of Education’s Office of Commonwealth Libraries. (2000).
- Mason, M. K. “Myths Associated With Undergraduate Use of Academic Libraries.” (2010). http://www.moyak.com/papers/academic-library-anxiety.html
- Nimsomboon, N. & Nagata, H. “Assessment of library service quality at Thammasat University Library System.” (2003). http://www.kc.tsukuba.ac.jp/div-comm/pdf/report0403.pdf
- Nweze, C. M.T. “Undergraduate Library Instruction in Nigerian Universities: A Case Study of Hezekiah Oluwasanmi Library, Obafemi Awolowo University, lle-Ife, Nigeria.” (2011). Library Philosophy and Practice (e-journal). 495. https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/libphilprac/495
- Nwezeh, C. M. T. & Shabi, I. N., “Students Use of Academic Libraries in Nigeria: A Case of Obafemi Awolowo University Library, Ile-Ife.” (2011). Library Philosophy and Practice (e-journal). 602. https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/libphilprac/602
- Ogunniyi, S. O. & Efosa, F. E. “Use of library catalogue by students of Adeyemi College of Education, Ondo.” (2010). Tincity Journal of Library, Archival and Information Science 1(2):47-51
- Okere, S. & Onuoha, U. D. “Academic staff assessment of accessibility and usefulness of library resources to teaching and research: A case of Babcock University.” (2008) Journal of Language and Development 5:47-58
- Okiy, R. B. “Assessing students and faculty use of academic libraries in Nigeria: The study of Delta State University, Abraka.” (2000). Frontiers of Information and Information Science 1(1): 65-75
- Oluwadare, I. B. “Accessibility and use of library resources by part-time students: A case study of the Federal Polytechnic, Ado-Ekiti, Nigeria.” (2006). Library Review, 55(2), 148-156
- Onuoha, U.D., Ikonne, C. N & Madukoma, E. “Perceived impact of library use on the research productivity of postgraduate students at Babcock University, Nigeria.” (2013). IOSR Journal of Research & Method in Education 1 (1):11-16
- Onuoha, U. D. & Subair, M. O. “Undergraduates’ Use of Libraries in Federal Universities in South-West, Nigeria.” (2013) IOSR Journal of Research & Method in Education (IOSR-JRME). Volume 3, Issue 5. iosrjournals.org
- Oyesiku, F. A., & Oduwole, A. A. “Use of an academic library: A survey on the Olabisi Onabanjo University Libraries.” (2004). Lagos Journal of Library and Information Science, 2(2), 96-101.
- Perera, P. A. S. H. “A study on the pattern of usage of library facilities at the Medical Library, University of Peradeniya.” (2005). Journal of the University Librarians Association of Sri Lanka, 9, 41-61. Retrieved May 31, 2010 http://www.sljol.info/index.php/JULA/article/viewFile/312/355
- Popoola, S. O. “Faculty awareness about library information products and services in Nigerian universities.” (2001). Gateway library journal, 4(1 & 2), 1-10.
- Udo-Anyanwu, A. J., Jeff-Okoroafor, I. & Mbagwu, I. “Information seeking behaviour of students in the use of library resources at the libraries of Imo State University and Alvan Ikoku Federal college of Education, Owerri.” (2012). Jewel Journal of Librarianship 4:24-29
- Ugah, A. D. “Evaluating the use of university libraries in Nigeria: A case study of Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike.” (2007). Library Philosophy and Practice. http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/~mbolin/ugah2.htm
- Yusuf, F, &Iwu, J “Use of academic library: a case study of Covenant University, Nigeria.”. (2010). Chinese Librarianship, an International Electronic Journal pp. 30. http://www.icli.us/cliej/c130YI.pdf